Tuesday, June 26, 2007

RSS feeds, etc. - Thing 8

Not that this has anything directly to do with creating the RSS feeds and such, but one of the annoying things about doing the 23 Things is that every time I turn around I am setting up another account. Google account. Yahoo account. What's next?!

My ten feeds are:
A Phrase a Week
About Literature: Contemporary
Joke of the Day
Librarian's Index to the Internet: New This Week
Library Journal - Audio Reviews
New Urban Legends
The Shifted Librarian
Unshelved
WJZ Baltimore Maryland News
Yahoo News: Top Stories

Some of these sites allow the user to subscribe in such a way that the information will be sent to an email account. For things I would be interested in being certain I saw every day, that would be my tendency. For silly things, such as the Joke of the Day, the blogline approach works better for me.

One thing I would love to see on PGCMLS's website is the availability of RSS feeds when new items are received in certain categories. For example, I enjoy Nevada Barr's books. If I could sign up to be notified via my RSS feed, when the library has received a new book by Barr, I could then immediately seek out that title. This would be very valuable to "regular" customers (rather than those of us in a PGCMLS branch five days a week!) and could potentially increase circulation.

No comments: